Two-Way Dual Language Philosophy
The philosophy of West Chicago Elementary District 33's Dual Language program is to educate our students to become bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural in a global society. Ultimately, we want our students to achieve academic excellence in two languages and attain a multicultural understanding and appreciation for the different cultures represented in the Dual Language program .
The Goals of the Dual Language Program:
- To foster a multicultural experience that develops students’ cross-cultural communication and promotes cultural pride, assurance and confidence.
- To enable all students to become proficient in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in English and Spanish by the end of 8th grade.
- To provide instruction that is challenging, engaging, and based on state standards.
- To encourage parents and community members to support and participate in the education of Second Language Learners.
Dual language Parent Committments
- Parents will commit to supporting their child in completing the program (K-5th grade)
- Parents will commit to donating 10 volunteer hours each school year
- Parents will commit to attending dual parent advisory meetings and/or workshops
The Dual Language Program Promotes
- Bilingual education as an enrichment program
- Greater understanding between two cultures as students learn from one another
- Equal education access for all students
- High expectations for all students