Employees who work in instructional positions, both certified and classified, are required to hold appropriate Illinois licensure. Information specific to each employee is available through the Illinois State Board of Education's Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System)
The Illinois State Board of Education maintains ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System) for all employees, including administrators, certified teaching and support staff, paraprofessional staff, and substitute teachers. There are new application, registration, recertification, testing and fee payment requirements.
The most important step to take right now is to update email addresses. All communication from the Illinois State Board of Education will come through email addresses.
- Recertification and Renewal for Standard and Master Certificate Holders (January 2013)
- Recertifcation and Renewal for Initial Certificate Holders (January 2013)
- Paraprofessional Licensure (January 2013)
- Substitutes (January 2013)
Highly Qualified Status - Certified Staff
District 33 requires that all educators who are the teacher of record in core classes be Highly Qualified as defined under the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) legislation. The NCLB core academic subject areas are English, reading, language arts, mathematics, science, foreign language, music, art, economics, history and geography.
Highly Qualified Status - Classified Staff
District 33 requires that all instructional paraprofessional staff hold NCLB Highly Qualified Paraprofessional certification. New regulations released by the Illinois State Board of Education will require paraeducators to renew their licensure on a regular basis and will soon replace previous TA, TAS and TASN (highly qualified certificates) with Professional Educator License with Stipulations: Paraprofessional. Visit this page often for updates as they become known.
Employees who work in certified positions must renew their certificates pursuant to Illinois state statute. There are several resources available to assist current and retired certified employees in certification and recertification matters.
- DuPage ROE Educator Recertification Tutorial
- Continuing Professional Development Units - CPDU Value Chart
- Renewal/Recertification of Teaching Certificates
- D33 Directions for Certificate Renewal
- Renewal/Recertification Information for Administrators
- Renewal/Recertification Information for Retired Educators
Current D33 Employees: When you complete recertification, please send a copy of the ECS page indicating your new renewal date to the Department of Human Resources.