Music Mission Statement for West Chicago District 33
Music fosters creativity, teaches collaboration, respect for others, responsible risk taking, and provides basic tools for a critical assessment of the world around us. All students in District 33 will have experience creating, performing and responding to the elements of music: melody, rhythm, timbre, form, harmony, and expression. As a result of their music education in District 33, students will become life producers and consumers of music and the arts.
MU.06.02 - Students will evaluate World music using the elements of music.
- Identify the form of a piece of music.
- Identify the unique instruments played in the piece of world music.
- Identify the tonality of a piece of music.
- Evaluate world music for the purpose of how music functions in ceremony, technology, politics, communication and entertainment.
- Perform world music reflecting the authenticity of the country of origin.
- Vocabulary = sacred, secular, tonality, form, World music
MU.06.01 - Students will perform the basic playing principles on guitar.
- Identify the parts of the guitar.
- Demonstrate correct posture, hand position, proper strumming, finger style and flat picking techniques.
- Play basic guitar chords (C-A-G-E-D-Am-Em-Dm).
- Play a I-IV-V chord progression.
- Identify Major and minor chords.
- Vocabulary = Basic guitar chords - C-A-G-E-D-Am-Em-Dm, Major/minor chords, Parts of the guitar - frets/bridge/body/neck/tuners, guitar pick, strumming, picking, I-IV-V progression